Friday, March 5, 2010

Calling Kallol!

As we sit down to chat about his latest Spring Summer 2010 collection, famous stylist and designer Kallol Datta dressed in one his runway pieces is as always candid and unassuming.

Your first visit to Hyderabad, how do you like it?
It’s only been a couple of hours, but I really enjoyed the trip from the airport and can’t wait to go shopping in the famous pearl bazaars.

Tell us a little about this collection, what was the inspiration?

Everyday objects that we tend to take for granted are the sources.
Something as plain as a toilet symbol of a stick figure girl, a dragonfly and cockroaches are featured in this collection’s prints, because I wanted to make something that would be engaging.
I have gone in for the Japanese Shaboree technique of rice grain printing this time and that has produced some very pleasant end results!

Your designs rarely if ever have any glam quotient, how and why is that?
Except for making a satirical statement, I am zero bling, all the time!
My childhood in the Middle East exposed me to too much of gold, sequin and everything shiny, and from then on, I have steered clear of them all as a rule.
As for embroidery, though I appreciate it in another’s work, it’s not really my style!

What is the must have in all your designs, is it a theme or a look or a fabric?

The theme is the collection, the look is always casual or grunge and never kitschy, the fabric is Cotton!
Though sometimes, depending on the piece, crepe or flat chiffon, light materials again will create magic.
I stick to Tie n Dye, various printing techniques and localized handlooms, cottons that allow the wearer to breathe and relax.
What defines each piece though is the plenty of drape that the silhouettes carry.

In your opinion so far, how has Hyderabad reacted to your work?

I have been sending in my pieces to Anonym from 2008, and what has surprised me is other than the usual designs, the Experimental pieces have always been a great success here, more than the other big metros. Thus, so far, it’s been a very nice experience!


Surprisingly, Experimental pieces are more easily accepted in Hyderabad!

No comments:

Post a Comment